Veal escalopes with cream sauce
These are delicious served with a seasonal green vegetable such as buttered courgettes or broccoli. Fresh tarragon has a far better flavour than dried tarragon in this recipe, so be sure to use it, if available.
- 4 veal escalopes weighing about 4 oz each, beaten
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped tarragon or 1 tsp dried tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil and butter for frying
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 6 oz button mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1/4 pint fresh single cream
- Sprinkle the escalopes with the tarragon and salt and pepper to taste. Heat a spoon of oil and knob of butter in a large frying pan and, when foaming, add two of the escalopes and half the lemon juice. Fry over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. Heat a little more oil and butter in the pan. Add the remaining escalopes and. fry as before. When they are tender, remove from the pan and add to the other escalopes.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and fry for 1 minute. Stir in the cream and return the escalopes to the pan. Reheat gently for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Do not let the sauce boil or it will curdle. Adjust seasoning and transfer to a hot serving platter. Serve immediately.
Calories: 264 kcal
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Protein: 24 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 126 mg
Sodium: 106 mg
Potassium: 574 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 373 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 59 mg
Iron: 2 mg