Braised Beef with Field Mushrooms
Braised Beef with Field Mushrooms is the perfect dish for a chilly evening. This recipe will make your house smell like you're cooking for days.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 - 2 lb boned and rolled lean brisket of beef
- 2 large onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb large flat or field mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme or
- 1 teaspoon dried Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil in a flameproof casserole. Then, over a high heat, quickly brown the meat on all sides. Remove the browned beef from the casserole and set aside. Turn the heat down low.
- Chop the onions. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Next add the onions and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- Crush the garlic and roughly chop all the flat or field mushrooms. Stir in the garlic, mushrooms and thyme to the cooked onions. Mix well, then cover the casserole with a lid or piece of foil and cook gently for about 10 minutes.
- Season the mushroom mixture to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and lay the meat on top. Cover the casserole again and cook in the Oven for 1 3/4 hours. Preheat a large serving dish.
- As soon as the beef is cooked, remove it from the Oven and place it in the centre of the heated serving dish. Remove the mushrooms from the casserole with a slotted spoon and arrange them around the meat.
- Sprinkle over the freshly chopped parsley. Serve the cooking juices separately in a small jug.
Oven : Preheat to 160°C (325°F, gas mark 3),
Calories: 377 kcal
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Protein: 40 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 105 mg
Sodium: 143 mg
Potassium: 1025 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 169 IU
Vitamin C: 11 mg
Calcium: 36 mg
Iron: 4 mg