- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 16 ready prepared baby squid with tentacles about 7 cm long (see note)
- 2 oz chorizo finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 1/2 oz pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped
- fresh flat leaf parsley plus extra coarsely chopped, to serve
- 6 floz measured fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 medium tomatoes skinned, deseeded and finely chopped (retain any juices)
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry until soft and pale golden. Add the chopped tentacles and fry until pale. Add the chorizo and fry until the fat runs out into the onion. Stir in the chile flakes.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan for a minute or so until golden. Take care, because they will burn easily. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the garlic, parsley, the breadcrumbs and half the pine nuts in a processor and pulse until fine. Add to the pan and let cool.
- To make the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish, add the onion and garlic and fry until pale gold. Increase the heat, add the sugar and the tomatoes with their juice, then simmer for a few minutes.
- Stuff the squid with the cold mixture and close with a cocktail stick. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, add the stuffed squid and fry on both sides until pale golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Add to the casserole dish and cook in a preheated oven at 190°C (375°F) Gas 5 for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with parsley and remaining toasted pine nuts and serve.
- Note If you have to clean the squid yourself, first pull off the tentacles. Rinse out the bodies and discard the stiff transparent quill if any. Cut the tentacles away from the head, and discard the head. Chop the tentacles into small pieces.
Calories: 465 kcal
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Cholesterol: 18 mg
Sodium: 187 mg
Potassium: 628 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 1672 IU
Vitamin C: 28 mg
Calcium: 38 mg
Iron: 2 mg