Stuffed Breast of Lamb #2
Breast of lamb tends to be one of the fattier joints, so be careful to choose the leanest available. Most butchers will bone the breast for you to save you time, usually at no extra cost.
- 2 1/2 lb boned breast of lamb
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
for the stuffing
- 2 oz can anchovy fillets drained and soaked in milk for 30 minutes
- 3 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion peeled and finely chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1/2 egg beaten
- Lay the breast of lamb flat on a board and trim off any excess fat. Sprinkle the meat liberally with salt and pepper.
- To prepare the stuffing, drain the anchovies and chop finely. Add to the remaining stuffing ingredients in a mixing bowl, using the egg to bind the mixture. Season to taste.
- Spread the stuffing along the breast. Roll up carefully, tie with string and secure with skewers if necessary.
- Put on a rack in a roasting pan, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and roast in a fairly hot oven (190°C/375°F or Gas Mark 5) for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender when pierced with a skewer and the outside skin is crisp.
- Transfer to a hot serving platter, remove the strings, and skewers (if used), and carve into slices. Serve with roast potatoes, herbed carrots and thick homemade gravy.
Calories: 618 kcal
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Protein: 65 g
Saturated Fat: 10 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 220 mg
Sodium: 891 mg
Potassium: 1013 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 120 IU
Vitamin C: 4 mg
Calcium: 117 mg
Iron: 7 mg