Braised Breast of Lamb or Mutton
- a breast of lamb or mutton
- salt and pepper
- dripping fat from roasted meat for greasing
for the mirepoix
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 small turnip
- 1 oz fat bacon
- 2 tsp dripping fat from roasted meat
- bouquet garni
- 1 to mato optional
- general household or brown stock to cover
- Wipe the meat.
- Bone the breast of lamb or mutton without cutting right through the flesh, or ask the butcher to do it for you.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Roll up tightly, and tie the meat with string.
- Prepare the onions, carrots, celery, and turnip for the mirepoix and slice them thickly.
- Chop the bacon roughly.
- Heat the dripping in a stewpan. Add the vegetables and bacon, cover the pan, and fry gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the bouquet garni. Skin and slice the tomato, if used, and add it to the pan.
- Add enough stock almost to cover the vegetables.
- Heat to boiling point.
- Place the meat on the mirepoix, lay a piece of greaseproof paper greased with dripping on top of the pan, and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Cook over low heat for about 2 hours until the meat is tender, basting frequently and adding more stock as required.
Calories: 455 kcal
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Protein: 49 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Cholesterol: 158 mg
Sodium: 215 mg
Potassium: 940 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 6 g
Vitamin A: 5362 IU
Vitamin C: 17 mg
Calcium: 63 mg
Iron: 5 mg