Spinach and Salmon Terrine
This recipe is a healthy and easy appetizer for entertaining, with fresh spinach served in a terrine with chunks of salmon.
- 1 lb fresh young spinach
- 1 lb salmon skinned and boned
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 level teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 pint single cream
for the redcurrant sauce
- 8 oz redcurrant jelly
- 1 orange juice
- Peel of 1/2 orange
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh redcurrants for garnish optional
- Butter the loaf tin and line its base with buttered greaseproof paper. Wash the spinach, removing any large stalks or veins, and pat the leaves dry.
- Cut two-thirds of the salmon into 3/4 in (20 mm) cubes, and roughly cut up the remaining third. Break the eggs into the liquidiser, and then add the roughly cut salmon, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Gradually feed in all the spinach while pureeing the salmon mixture.
- Once everything has been finely pureed, stir in the cream and cubes of salmon. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and cover with foil.
- Place two folded sheets of newspaper in the bottom of a large ovenproof dish or deep baking tray, stand the loaf tin on the paper, and fill with boiling water to within 1/2 in (15 mm) of the rim of the loaf tin. The paper prevents the bottom of the terrine from cooking too fast, and from turning brown. Cook for 1 hour, until the spinach mixture has set, then cool and refrigerate.
- Cut the orange peel into large pieces. Place all the ingredients for the sauce in a pan and heat gently. Stir until all the redcurrant jelly has melted. Remove the pieces of orange peel before serving.
- When the terrine is quite cold, turn it out of the tin and carefully remove the greaseproof paper. With a sharp knife cut into 1/2 in (15 mm) slices with a gentle sawing action, and put them on individual dessert plates.
- Just before serving, pour a little of the warm redcurrant sauce around each slice and garnish with a small bunch of redcurrants.
Oven : Preheat to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4)
Calories: 323 kcal
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Protein: 21 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 145 mg
Sodium: 531 mg
Potassium: 877 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 19 g
Vitamin A: 7446 IU
Vitamin C: 27 mg
Calcium: 122 mg
Iron: 3 mg