Stuffed Aubergines Greek Style (Papuzakia)
- 2 large long aubergines each weighing about 14 oz
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped
- 8 oz minced lean lamb
- pinch chilli powder optional
- 1 small garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 9 floz tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp grated mature hard cheese
- olive oil
- wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
for the sauce:
- 14 floz bechamel sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp grated mature hard cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) mark 4. Heat plenty of salted water in a large saucepan. Trim off the ends of the aubergines, wash and dry them then cut lengthwise in half.
- Scoop out the flesh, leaving a layer about 1/4 in (6 - 7 mm) thick next to the skin. Add 1 1/2 tbsp wine vinegar to the boiling salted water and blanch the hollowed aubergines for 5 minutes.
- Drain and arrange upside down on a clean cloth or tilted chopping board to continue draining. Heat 3 tbsp (1/4 cup) olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the onion gently for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. When it is very tender and has started to brown, add the meat and fry for 1 minute, using a wooden spoon to prevent it forming balls or lumps as it cooks.
- Add the chopped flesh scooped out of the aubergines. Cook over a low heat, stirring, for 2 - 3 minutes only. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, adding a pinch of chilli powder if wished.
- Mix the garlic and parsley and stir into the meat mixture; add the tomato sauce. Keep stirring over a
- low heat for 2 minutes to blend and thicken the mixture. Draw aside from the heat and stir in the grated cheese. Taste, and correct the seasoning if required.
- Lightly oil a roasting tin or shallow ovenproof dish. Fill the aubergine skins with the meat and vegetable mixture, smoothing the surface.
- Bake in the oven for 30 - 35 minutes. Make the sauce: when the stuffed aubergines have finished cooking and it is time to serve them, stir the egg yolks and remaining grated cheese into the sauce off the heat.
- Return to a very low heat to cook, stirring gently, for a few seconds; do not allow to boil. Pour over the stuffed aubergines and serve at once.
Calories: 350 kcal
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Protein: 20 g
Saturated Fat: 11 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 163 mg
Sodium: 543 mg
Potassium: 831 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 12 g
Vitamin A: 865 IU
Vitamin C: 15 mg
Calcium: 219 mg
Iron: 3 mg