Neapolitan Stuffed Aubergines
- 2 lb long large aubergines total weight approx. 1 1/2 lb
- 2 cloves garlic
- 9 black olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 3 drained tinned tomatoes seeds removed
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar approx.
- 3 oz fine dry breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- grilled meat poultry or fish steaks
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) mark 6.
- Bring a large saucepan three-quarters full of salted water, acidulated with the wine vinegar, to the boil. Rinse and dry the aubergines, cut off the ends and slice lengthwise in half.
- Scoop out the flesh, leaving a layer about 1/4 in (7 mm) next to the skin. Blanch the hollowed skins in the saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute, drain and place upside down on a clean cloth.
- Cut the flesh into small, thick slices or dice. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a wide, non-stick frying pan over a moderately high heat and fry 2 crushed garlic cloves together with the dried aubergine flesh for 2 minutes, stirring with a spatula.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, cover and reduce the heat to low; cook gently for 15 minutes, adding 2 tbsp of hot water if the mixture shows signs of becoming too dry.
- During this time, stone and chop the olives. Remove the aubergine mixture from the heat and stir in the olives, capers, parsley and basil, adding a little more salt and pepper if wished. Fill the drained skins with this stuffing and cover with strips of tomato flesh.
- Sprinkle with a very little salt and a little olive oil and top with a light covering of breadcrumbs. Place the aubergines in an oiled ovenproof dish or small roasting tin and bake for 15 minutes.
- Brown under a very hot grill for 2 - 3 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
Calories: 161 kcal
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Protein: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 416 mg
Potassium: 669 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 10 g
Vitamin A: 930 IU
Vitamin C: 18 mg
Calcium: 75 mg
Iron: 2 mg