This classic strawberry tart recipe is perfect for your next spring or summer party.
- 8 oz flour
- 2 1/2 oz ground almonds
- 7 oz butter cut into small knobs,
- plus extra for greasing
- 5 1/2 oz unrefined light brown sugar
- 2 - 3 egg yolks
for the filling:
- 7 oz redcurrant jelly
- 2 lb strawberries
- Mix together the flour and ground almonds. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. (Remember: cool kitchen and cool fingers, if you can.) Mix in the sugar. Then add the egg yolks and mix them in using a round-ended knife in a cutting motion until the ingredients come together into a pastry ball.
- Put the pastry ball on to a cool, floured work surface and lightly knead with the palm of your hand for a minute, to ensure a smooth pastry. Wrap and place in the fridge to rest for 40 minutes.
- Lightly butter a 25cm push-up-bottom flan tin. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface, then line the tin. Place in the fridge to chill again for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
- Line the pastry case with baking parchment and baking beans and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the lining paper and beans, reduce the heat to 150°C/gas 2, and bake for a further 25 minutes until the pastry is golden and set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Gently heat the redcurrant jelly in a small saucepan over a low heat until thin and smooth. Allow the jelly to cool a little.
- Carefully release the cooled pastry case and transfer it to a large flat plate. Do take care, as this pastry is fragile.
- Cut any large strawberries into smaller pieces, then pile the fruit into the case. Spoon the redcurrant jelly over the strawberries to give an even coating, leave to set for 1 hour, then serve.
Calories: 729 kcal
Carbohydrates: 92 g
Protein: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 19 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 234 mg
Sodium: 263 mg
Potassium: 356 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 49 g
Vitamin A: 1061 IU
Vitamin C: 92 mg
Calcium: 110 mg
Iron: 4 mg