Stir-Fried Chilli Greens
- 2 bunches spinach or chard or 1 head Chinese leaves or 1 lb curly kale
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 5 cm 2 in fresh root ginger, peeled and cut in matchsticks
- 4 tbsp groundnut oil
- 4 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, or pork fillet, or a mixture of both, very finely sliced
- 12 quail's eggs hard-boiled and shelled
- 1 fresh red chilli seeded and shredded
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed with 2 floz cold water
- Wash the chosen leaves well and shake them dry. Strip the tender leaves from the stems and tear them into pieces. Discard the lower, tougher part of the stems and slice the remainder evenly.
- Fry the garlic and ginger in the hot oil, without browning, for a minute. Add the chicken and/or pork and keep stirring it in the wok until the meat changes colour. When the meat looks cooked, add the sliced stems first and cook them quickly; then add the torn leaves, quail's eggs and chilli. Spoon in the oyster sauce and a little boiling water, if necessary. Cover and cook for 1 - 2 minutes only.
- Remove the cover, stir and add sugar and salt to taste. Stir in the cornflour and water mixture and toss thoroughly. Cook until the mixture is well coated in a glossy sauce.
- Serve immediately, while still very hot and the colours are bright and positively jewel-like.
Calories: 284 kcal
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Protein: 15 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 246 mg
Sodium: 485 mg
Potassium: 754 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 4 g
Vitamin A: 11591 IU
Vitamin C: 153 mg
Calcium: 201 mg
Iron: 3 mg