Spanish Stuffed Chicken
Make a gravy to serve with the hot chicken: pour off most of the fat in the tin, leaving about 2 tablespoons of sediment. Stir in 2 teaspoons plain flour and cook over gentle heat for 1 - 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually blend in 300 ml (1/2 pint) hot chicken stock. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 - 3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Strain into a warmed sauceboat.
- 3 1/2 lb roasting chicken
- vegetable oil for brushing
- 1 oz margarine or butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 oz soft white breadcrumbs
- 1 oz blanched almonds chopped
- 1 canned red pimiento chopped
- 8 green olives stoned and quartered
- 1 large tomato skinned and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Make the stuffing: melt the margarine in a frying-pan, add the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft and lightly coloured. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the remaining stuffing ingredients to the pan and mix well.
- Wash the chicken and pat dry with absorbent paper. Using a small sharp knife, remove the wishbone
- from the neck end of the chicken by cutting away the flesh around it. Break off the bone at the joints and lift it out.
- Fill the neck cavity with the stuffing, fold the neck skin back into position, then fold the wing tips over it. Secure with a metal skewer. Carefully truss the drumsticks with string, if necessary.
- Lightly oil a roasting tin. Place the chicken in the tin, brush with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the chicken in the oven for 1 1/2 hours until cooked (the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a skewer). Remove skewer and any string and, if serving hot, transfer to a warmed serving dish.
Calories: 794 kcal
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Protein: 54 g
Saturated Fat: 17 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 264 mg
Sodium: 773 mg
Potassium: 761 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 2915 IU
Vitamin C: 13 mg
Calcium: 87 mg
Iron: 5 mg