Shufta (Dry fruits in sugar syrup)
- 9 oz Cottage cheese paneer, 1/2 inch cubes
- Ghee for frying
- 2 oz Almonds badaam, blanched 100 g (3 1/2 oz) Currants (sultanas)
- 1/4 cup Coconut nariyal, slivered
- 1 3/4 oz Dried dates khajoor, deseeded, slivered
- 1 tsp Black peppercorns sabut kali mirch
- 8 floz Water
- 11 oz Sugar
- 6 Green cardamom choti elaichi, crushed
- 1/2 tsp Saffron kesar
- 1 3/4 oz Rock candy mishri
- 1 tbsp Lemon nimbu juice
- Heat the ghee (for frying) and fry the cottage cheese lightly. Remove and put aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pot; lightly saute the almonds, currants, coconut, dates, and black peppercorns for 1 minute.
- Add water, sugar, and green cardamom. Stir till the water comes to the boil. Lower heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Soak the saffron in 2 tsp of hot water and crush it with the back of a spoon. Mix into the pot and stir well.
- Add the candied sugar and lemon juice; stir again. When the syrup becomes thick (not dry), remove from heat. Serve warm.
Calories: 230 kcal
Carbohydrates: 42 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Sodium: 99 mg
Potassium: 128 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 38 g
Vitamin A: 50 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 52 mg
Iron: 1 mg