Sauteed Lentils With Mushrooms
Lentejas Salteadas Con Setas
- 9 oz small lentils rinsed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 oz butter
- 3 1/2 oz small chestnut mushrooms
- 3 1/2 oz oyster mushrooms cut in half if large
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- to serve
- 6 slices streaky bacon
- leaves from a small bunch of flat leaf parsley half chopped, the rest left whole
- Put the lentils in a saucepan, cover with 1 litre cold water and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 35 minutes or until tender (the time will depend on the age of the lentils). Drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic and fry for about 10 minutes until soft and pale golden.
- Add the butter, the remaining oil and the mushrooms. Stir-fry until the mushrooms are just cooked. Add the lentils, chopped parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper and continue to stir until heated through.
- Meanwhile, grill the bacon until crisp. Serve the lentils topped with the parsley and 1-2 slices of bacon per serving.
- Variations To make 2 other classic lentil dishes:
- Add 150 g cubed Spanish panceta instead of the mushrooms.
- Add 4 skinned, deseeded, chopped tomatoes instead of the mushrooms.
Calories: 356 kcal
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Protein: 15 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 25 mg
Sodium: 188 mg
Potassium: 614 mg
Fiber: 14 g
Sugar: 2 g
Vitamin A: 320 IU
Vitamin C: 7 mg
Calcium: 35 mg
Iron: 4 mg