Choose an ovenproof dish just large enough to take the chicken. The vermouth will evaporate too quickly if a large space is left around the bird.
- 3 1/2 lb oven-ready chicken
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 oz margarine or butter
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 small onion halved
- 1/4 pint rose' vermouth
- 2 good pinches sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 pint chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice according to taste
- Heat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas 5.
- Pat the chicken dry with absorbent paper, then sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Place half the margarine inside the chicken with half the tarragon and the onion halves. Truss with thread or fine string.
- Place the chicken in an ovenproof dish and spread with the remaining margarine. Sprinkle over the remaining tarragon, then pour the vermouth around the chicken.
- Roast in the oven for 1 1/4 hours or until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer. Baste occasionally during the cooking time.
- Remove the chicken from the dish and discard the trussing thread. Place the chicken on a warmed serving platter and keep hot in the lowest possible oven.
- To make the sauce: pour the juices from the chicken into a saucepan. Stir in a pinch of paprika and the tomato puree. In a bowl, blend the cornflour to a paste with the milk, gradually stir in the chicken stock and add to the pan. Stir well to combine, bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Taste and adjust seasoning, then add lemon juice to taste, for a sharper flavour.
- Pour a little of the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with the remaining paprika. Serve at once, with the remaining sauce handed separately.
Calories: 527 kcal
Carbohydrates: 8 g
Protein: 37 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 161 mg
Sodium: 235 mg
Potassium: 491 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 747 IU
Vitamin C: 7 mg
Calcium: 54 mg
Iron: 2 mg