Chicken with Saffron Rice (Arroz Con Pollo)
Chicken cooked with saffron rice is a dish which can be eaten anytime of the day. The sweetness from the rice balances the saltiness of the chicken.
- 3 Tbs Vegetable oil
- 6 slices Streaky fatty bacon, chopped
- 5 lb Chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 1/2 oz Seasoned flour flour with salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Onions chopped
- 1 Garlic clove crushed
- 14 oz Canned peeled tomatoes
- 3 oz Canned pimientos drained
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Ground saffron
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 pint Water
- 8 oz Long-grain rice soaked in cold water for 30 minutes and drained
- 6 oz Frozen peas thawed
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole. Add the bacon and fry until it is crisp and has rendered its fat. Transfer the bacon to kitchen towels to drain.
- Coat the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess. Add the pieces to the casserole and fry until they are evenly browned. Using tongs, transfer the pieces to a plate.
- Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 35°°F).
- Drain off most of the oil from the casserole and add the onions and garlic. Fry until they are soft. Arrange the chicken pieces over the onions and add the tomatoes and can juice, the pimientos, paprika, saffron, salt and water. Bring to the boil, then stir in the rice. Cover the casserole and put into the oven. Cook for 35 minutes. Stir in the peas and bacon and cook for a further 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are cooked through and tender.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and serve at once.
Calories: 755 kcal
Carbohydrates: 46 g
Protein: 42 g
Saturated Fat: 12 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 151 mg
Sodium: 1092 mg
Potassium: 705 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 985 IU
Vitamin C: 37 mg
Calcium: 72 mg
Iron: 6 mg