Larded Breast of Pheasant
- 2 young pheasants each weighing 2 1/4 lbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 good pinches white pepper
- 2 fresh sprigs sage or 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 tbsp clarified butter
- 2 oz streaky bacon cut very thin
- 9 oz chestnuts
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 oz butter
- Wash and dry pheasants, then rub well inside with salt and pepper. Rinse and dry fresh sage, or crush dried variety.
- Rub half the sage inside pheasants.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F) Gas Mark 7.
- Heat clarified butter and brown pheasants over high heat for 5 minutes. Place them in roasting pan, sprinkle with remaining fat from pan, then cover breasts with bacon rashers and roast in oven for 30 minutes.
- Cut a cross just through skins of chestnuts and cook them in rapidly boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Remove pheasants from oven and allow to cool.
- Rinse chestnuts under cold water and then peel.
- Caramelise sugar in butter until light brown, add chestnuts and glaze, stirring until they are evenly coated with syrup. Put aside to cool.
- Cut breast portions from pheasants, putting aside remainder of birds to be used in other dishes. Carve breast meat with bacon layer in slices 1.2 cm (1/2 in) thick, arrange on serving dish with glazed chestnuts and scatter with remaining sage.
Calories: 780 kcal
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Protein: 79 g
Saturated Fat: 14 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 264 mg
Sodium: 500 mg
Potassium: 999 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 705 IU
Vitamin C: 31 mg
Calcium: 49 mg
Iron: 4 mg