Ratatouille and Lentil
- 2 oz green lentils
- 1/2 small aubergine eggplant, diced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 courgette zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 7 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- Bread Dough Base made with wholemeal flour
- 2 oz vegetarian Cheddar sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper
- Soak the lentils in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse; then cover with fresh water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the aubergine (eggplant) with a little salt in a colander and leave the bitter juices to drain for about 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- Fry the onion and garlic gently in the oil for 3 minutes. Add the courgette (zucchini), (bell) peppers and aubergine (eggplant). Cover and leave to cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, drained lentils, oregano, 2 tablespoons of water and seasoning. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding more water if necessary.
- Roll out or press the dough, using a rolling pin or your hands, into a 25 cm (10 inch) circle on a lightly floured work surface. Place on a large greased baking sheet (cookie sheet) or pizza pan and push up the edge slightly. Cover
- and leave to rise slightly for 10 minutes in a warm place.
- Spread the ratatouille over the dough base almost to the edge. Arrange the cheese slices on top and sprinkle over the sunflower seeds. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6, for 18 - 20 minutes, or until the edge is crisp and golden brown. Serve immediately.
Calories: 1347 kcal
Carbohydrates: 86 g
Protein: 38 g
Saturated Fat: 19 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 675 mg
Potassium: 2528 mg
Fiber: 32 g
Sugar: 24 g
Vitamin A: 1177 IU
Vitamin C: 53 mg
Calcium: 687 mg
Iron: 12 mg