- 1 tsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 oz peeled weight onion, finely chopped
- 1 oz leek finely chopped
- 1 oz celery finely chopped
- 1 oz deseeded green pepper finely chopped
- 1 oz peeled weight carrot, finely chopped
- 1 oz courgette finely chopped
- 3 oz flat mushrooms diced
- 4 tbsp red wine
- pinch of dried thyme
- 14 oz canned tomatoes chopped, strained through a colander, and the juice and pulp reserved separately
- 4 tbsp dried Puy lentils cooked (see COOK'S TIP)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 5 oz uncooked weight spaghetti
- Heat a saucepan over a low heat, add the oil and garlic and cook, stirring, until golden brown. Add all the vegetables, except the mushrooms, increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes, or until softened and there is no liquid from the vegetables left in the pan. Add the mushrooms.
- Increase the heat to high, add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add the thyme and juice from the tomatoes and cook until reduced by half.
- Add the lentils and pepper, stir in the tomatoes and cook for a further 3 - 4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, sugar and basil.
- Serve the sauce with the cooked spaghetti, garnished with basil sprigs.
- Puy lentils can be cooked without presoaking. Rinse thoroughly, cover in fresh cold water and cook for 25 - 30 minutes, or until just tender.
Calories: 265 kcal
Carbohydrates: 48 g
Protein: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 144 mg
Potassium: 549 mg
Fiber: 9 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 485 IU
Vitamin C: 21 mg
Calcium: 69 mg
Iron: 3 mg