Pumpkin Soup #3
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 lb pumpkin peeled and cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) chunks
- 2 3/4 pints boiling vegetable or chicken stock
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme stalks removed
- 1/4 pint milk
- salt and pepper
- crusty bread to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions to the pan and cook for 3 - 4 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and pumpkin and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Add the boiling vegetable or chicken stock, orange rind and juice and 2 tablespoons of the thyme to the pan. Leave to simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Place the mixture in a food processor and blend until smooth. Alternatively, mash the mixture with a potato masher until smooth. Season to taste.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and add the milk. Reheat the soup for 3-4 minutes or until it is piping hot but not boiling.
- Sprinkle with the remaining fresh thyme just before serving.
- Divide the soup among 4 warm soup bowls and serve with lots of fresh crusty bread.
Calories: 301 kcal
Carbohydrates: 38 g
Protein: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 13 mg
Sodium: 483 mg
Potassium: 1329 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 18 g
Vitamin A: 19689 IU
Vitamin C: 51 mg
Calcium: 141 mg
Iron: 4 mg