Pumpkin and Apple Tart #2
- 8 oz rich sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1 lb apples Cox's Orange Pippins are good, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 8 oz pumpkin skinned, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 oz butter
- 4 oz light soft brown sugar
- 4 oz dried dates halved
- 6 floz double cream
- 2 dates very finely chopped, mixed with 2 tablespoons demerara sugar, to decorate
- Line a deep 23cm (9 in) tart tin with the pastry and pre-bake or bake blind.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas 5.
- Place the apple and pumpkin slices in a large bowl. Mix the cornflour and spices together and sprinkle over the apple and pumpkin. Toss to mix.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a wide flat-bottomed pan and add the spiced apple and pumpkin mixture. Stir over a medium heat for 1 - 2 minutes to ensure that all the slices are covered with the butter and sugar mixture. By this time there will be a thickish, brown, bubbling liquid. Stir in the date halves.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-baked pastry case, then pour the cream over the top. Finally, sprinkle the surface with the finely chopped dates mixed with demerara sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until the tart is golden brown and some of the pieces of fruit begin to look crisp.
- Serve warm or cold with cream. This tart also goes well with butterscotch ice cream.
Calories: 535 kcal
Carbohydrates: 69 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 15 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 61 mg
Sodium: 241 mg
Potassium: 437 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 41 g
Vitamin A: 3933 IU
Vitamin C: 7 mg
Calcium: 68 mg
Iron: 2 mg