Mushroom and Cheddar Starter
- 2 1/2 oz butter
- 1 onion skinned and chopped
- 1 garlic clove skinned and crushed
- 8 oz mushrooms wiped and thickly sliced
- 1 oz flour
- 1/2 pint milk
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 oz English Cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tbsp fresh single cream chopped
- fresh parsley to garnish
- Melt 40 g (1 1/2 oz) of the butter in a saucepan and fry the onion, garlic and mushrooms until tender.
- Divide the mixture between four scallop shells or ramekin dishes.
- Place the remaining 25 g (1 oz) butter, flour and milk in a saucepan. Heat, stirring continuously, until the sauce thickens and boils. Add seasoning, half the cheese and the fresh cream. Pour over the mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for 15 minutes, or brown under a hot grill.
- Serve hot, garnished with parsley.
Calories: 282 kcal
Carbohydrates: 13 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 14 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 63 mg
Sodium: 245 mg
Potassium: 331 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 719 IU
Vitamin C: 3 mg
Calcium: 186 mg
Iron: 1 mg