Lamb with walnut stuffing
Ask your butcher to bone the leg of lamb: it is essential to order in advance, especially at Easter time.
- 3 lb leg of lamb boned
- 9 oz sausagemeat
- 4 oz shelled walnuts finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh parsley to garnish
- Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Put the sausagemeat in a bowl together with the walnuts, parsley, nutmeg and half the rosemary. Season to taste and mix well.
- Pack the stuffing into the boned cavity of the lamb, then secure with a trussing needle and fine string or meat skewers.
- Place the lamb, fat side up, on a rack in a roasting tin and sprinkle with the remaining rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Cover with foil. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, then lower the heat to 170C/325F/Gas 3 and roast for a further 1 1/2 hours. Remove the foil for the final 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter, remove the string or skewers and serve, carved into slices and garnished with parsley.
Calories: 437 kcal
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Protein: 39 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 122 mg
Sodium: 360 mg
Potassium: 610 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 149 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 33 mg
Iron: 4 mg