Grey Mullet Steaks with Oranges and Fennel
- 1 grey mullet about 2 lb
- 2 branches fennel or 1/2 bulb Florentine fennel
- 2 oz butter
- 2 sticks celery finely sliced
- 2 oranges peeled and sliced into rounds
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 floz dry white wine
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 6, 400°F (200°C).
- Scale and gut the mullet, cut off the head and tail, and slice the fish into 4 or 6 rounds (cutlets and steaks), depending on its size.
- Break and bruise the branches of fennel, or thinly slice the bulb of Florentine fennel, reserve a few of the feathery leaves as a garnish.
- Lightly butter a baking dish with 1/2 oz (15 g) of the butter and cover the base with the celery, fennel and half the orange slices.
- Lay the cutlets of grey mullet on top and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Dot with the remaining butter and smother with the remaining orange slices, then pour in the Vine which should come about one third of the way up the cutlets.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the fish is cooked.
- Garnish with the reserved fronds of fennel and serve with a spoonful or two of the cooking juices
Calories: 274 kcal
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Protein: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 49 mg
Sodium: 192 mg
Potassium: 798 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 713 IU
Vitamin C: 49 mg
Calcium: 110 mg
Iron: 2 mg