Oranges in Cointreau
- 8 small oranges
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons Cointreau
- Using a small sharp knife, pare the zest from oranges, then cut the zest into shreds.
- Put the sugar and water in a large heavy-based saucepan. Stir over very low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil.
- Add the orange shreds and boil for 1 minute, then remove with a slotted spoon and pat them dry on absorbent paper. Transfer to a saucer, cover and refrigerate until required. Leave syrup to cool.
- Peel the oranges with a sharp knife, removing every scrap of
- white pith and taking care not to damage the orange flesh.
- Cut the oranges across into thin slices, then stack the slices, to reshape each orange. Spear together with cocktail sticks and carefully transfer to a serving dish.
- Add the Cointreau to the cooled syrup, then pour over the oranges. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, spooning the juice over the oranges from time to time.
- To serve: sprinkle the oranges with the chilled shreds and serve at once.
- Reshape each orange as follows:
- Slice the orange and lay the slices flat, one on top of each other.
Calories: 287 kcal
Carbohydrates: 65 g
Protein: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 1 mg
Potassium: 475 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 58 g
Vitamin A: 590 IU
Vitamin C: 139 mg
Calcium: 106 mg
Iron: 1 mg