Gluten Free Louises Oatcakes
- 1 oz sesame seeds
- 5 oz pinhead oatmeal or whole oats
- 2 oz dry toasted pot barley grains
- Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 level teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons oil sesame is particularly good
- 4 floz hot water just off the boil
- Combine the seeds, oats and barley and grind finely in a coffee mill or hand mill. these can be pre-roasted to add extra flavour.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and the salt and mix well.
- Then using a wooden spoon add in the oil, mixing to a 'breadcrumb' texture.
- Add the hot water, mixing to a stiff dough with the wooden spoon or a knife. Knead lightly in the bowl.
- Divide in half and roll out to 1/8 inch (1/2cm) thickness on a board which has been lightly dusted with rye or barley flour. Half way through rolling, the dough can be sprinkled with extra sesame seeds.
- Divide the dough into triangles, rectangles or circles and bake on a greased biscuit tray for 15 - 20 minutes at 375°F (190°C) gas mark 5.
- Cool and then store in an air-tight tin.
Calories: 178 kcal
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 5 mg
Potassium: 122 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 4 IU
Calcium: 78 mg
Iron: 2 mg