Globe Artichokes In Oil
- 20 baby globe artichokes or very small side buds
- juice of 1 lemon
- olive oil
- 1 3/4 pints court-bouillon
- Half fill a very large bowl with cold water and add the lemon juice to acidulate.
- Prepare the artichokes, stripping them down to the heart and slicing off the leaves about three-quarters of the way down to the base. Cut lengthwise into quarters.
- As each artichoke is prepared, drop it into the bowl of acidulated water to prevent discoloration.
- Bring the aromatic cooking liquid or court-bouillon slowly to the boil over a low heat and when it boils, drain the artichokes and boil gently in it until they are tender but still fairly crisp (about 12-15 minutes).
- Drain the artichokes upside down, then pack in layers into large, sterilized glass preserving jars; pour in sufficient olive oil to completely cover the top layer, tapping the jar on the work surface to release any trapped air bubbles.
- Seal tightly. Store in a cupboard at cool room temperature and wait at least 2 weeks before sampling. This method works well for other green vegetables.
- Serve as an accompaniment to cold meats.
Calories: 319 kcal
Carbohydrates: 72 g
Protein: 21 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 1430 mg
Potassium: 2405 mg
Fiber: 35 g
Sugar: 9 g
Vitamin A: 530 IU
Vitamin C: 89 mg
Calcium: 289 mg
Iron: 8 mg