Bacon and Mustard Pancakes
These easy breakfast pancakes with bacon and mustard will be a hit with the whole family.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 medium onions skinned and roughly chopped
- 6 oz boiled bacon finely chopped
- 8 oz apple peeled and cored
- 8 oz frozen cut beans cooked
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 level tbsp plain flour All purpose
- 1/2 pint milk
- 4 oz Cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 pancakes see below
- chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- 4 oz flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 pint milk
- butter for frying
- Melt 25 g (1 oz) butter in a deep frying pan and fry the onion until softened. Stir in the bacon, apple and beans and saute for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard.
- Melt the remaining butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring. Remove pan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Bring to the boil slowly and continue to cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Simmer for a further 2-3 minutes. Add the cheese and seasoning.
- Fill the pancakes with the bacon filling and roll or fold up. Place side by side in a ovenproof dish and spoon over the cheese sauce.
- Heat in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 25 - 30 minutes. Serve garnished with parsley.
- Pancake Batter
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the egg. Beat with a wooden spoon, adding the milk gradually, until incorporated.
- To make pancakes. Heat a little butter in a 18 cm (7 inch) heavy-based frying pan until very hot, running it round to coat the sides of the pan; pour off any surplus.
- Ladle or pour in a little batter, rotating the pan at the same time, until enough batter is added to give a thin coating.
- Cook until the pancake begins to curl around the edges, revealing a golden-brown colour underneath. Ease a palette knife under the centre and flip over.
- Fry the other side until golden brown, then turn on to a warm plate and cover. Continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used, adding a small knob of butter to the pan each time.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice. Or fill with a sweet or savoury filling.
Calories: 364 kcal
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Protein: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 11 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 71 mg
Sodium: 413 mg
Potassium: 350 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 470 IU
Vitamin C: 4 mg
Calcium: 197 mg
Iron: 2 mg