Easy-Cook Christmas Pudding
Prepare your pudding early so the flavours have time to develop. On Christmas Day simply take it out of the fridge and steam away.
- 1 1/2 cups sultanas golden raisins
- 1 1/2 cups chopped raisins
- 3/4 cup currants
- 1 cup pitted and chopped prunes
- 3/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground Mixed Spice All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup firm butter grated
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 green apple peeled, cored, grated
- 1/4 cup golden syrup substitute light corn syrup
- 3 eggs beaten
Creamy Rum Custard
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp rum
- 1 Combine sultanas, raisins, currants, prunes, apricots and brandy. Cover and let stand overnight.
- 2 Sift flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl. Add butter, sugar and breadcrumbs. Rub the butter through the dry ingredients with your fingertips.
- 3 Add apple, golden syrup, eggs and fruit. Mix well.
- 4 Spoon into a greased and baselined 10-cup pudding basin (from specialty kitchen shops). Cover with a greased sheet of baking paper, aluminium foil and another sheet of baking paper. Secure with wetted string. Place in a saucepan of boiling water (ensure the water is one-third up the side of the basin).
- 5 Cover pan and gently boil for 4 hours (check water every 30 minutes). Carefully remove pudding basin from steamer. Cool 15 minutes before turning out.
- Cool and wrap in plastic film and store in the refrigerator. Christmas Day: allow pudding to return to room temperature, then steam for 2 hours. Serve with custard.
- Creamy Rum Custard
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double saucepan over boiling water.
- Stir until thick and creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add blended cornflour, cream and milk. Continue stirring constantly until custard thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly, add rum. Serve warm or chilled.
Calories: 7325 kcal
Carbohydrates: 1153 g
Protein: 102 g
Saturated Fat: 159 g
Trans Fat: 6 g
Cholesterol: 1995 mg
Sodium: 3808 mg
Potassium: 7442 mg
Fiber: 75 g
Sugar: 600 g
Vitamin A: 13685 IU
Vitamin C: 90 mg
Calcium: 1709 mg
Iron: 44 mg