Duck Soup in a Pastry Bonnet
- 9 oz duck breast
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry about 1 1/2 oz each
- 1 tsp oil
- Pinch each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 spring onions
- 9 oz courgettes zucchini
- 3/4 cup button mushrooms
- 8 floz strong chicken stock
- 5 oz mildly flavoured sausagemeat
- Bunch chervil
- 4 tbsp single light cream
- 1 egg yolk
- Thoroughly thaw puff pastry and set aside.
- Wash and dry duck breast before browning the skin side in oil, then turning and completing the process in 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Trim and wash spring onions, then chop in rings.
- Wash, dry and dice courgettes (zucchini) finely.
- Clean and rinse mushrooms, then slice them.
- Heat the chicken stock.
- Put sausagemeat into a bowl, add the washed and finely chopped chervil, 2 tbsp cream and some pepper.
- Mix well and then shape with teaspoons into little dumplings and simmer gently in the stock for 10 minutes.
- Cut the duck into fine strips and divide it together with the finely chopped vegetables among four soup bowls.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F) Gas Mark 7.
- Roll pastry out to form circles 2 cm 3/4 in bigger than the diameter of the bowls.
- Whisk egg yolk with remaining cream.
- Fill bowls with hot soup and dumplings. Cover with a pastry lid and glaze with egg yolk.
- Bake in centre of oven for about 10 minutes until pastry is well browned.
Calories: 487 kcal
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Protein: 25 g
Saturated Fat: 11 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 142 mg
Sodium: 449 mg
Potassium: 602 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 467 IU
Vitamin C: 17 mg
Calcium: 42 mg
Iron: 5 mg