This recipe for cheese pastry is the best way to enjoy your favorite cheese in a savory treat.
- 1/4 lb plain flour bread flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of dry mustard or cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 oz lard
- 2 oz cheddar cheese finely grated
- little beaten egg or water
- Sift the flour and salt, mustard or cayenne, into a bowl. Add the fats.
- Cut into the flour with a knife then rub in with your fingertips. The mixture should resemble fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the cheese.
- Add a little egg or water, 15 - 30 ml (1 - 2 tbsp), stirring with a round-bladed knife until the ingredients begin to stick together in large lumps.
- With one hand, collect the mixture together and knead very lightly for a few seconds to give a firm, smooth dough.
- Roll out and use as required.
Calories: 214 kcal
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Protein: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 30 mg
Sodium: 150 mg
Potassium: 63 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 673 IU
Vitamin C: 3 mg
Calcium: 125 mg
Iron: 1 mg