Crab Cannelloni with Tomato Sauce
The crab meat and fresh herbs in this cannelloni recipe create a rich, savory filling. The tomato sauce is quick to prepare and compliments the crab nicely.
- 18 dried cannelloni tubes
- 1 lb fresh white crabmeat or 2 x 7 oz tins crabmeat
- 8 oz frozen spinach
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 oz fresh Parmesan
- Sprigs of thyme parsley or basil for garnish
for the tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium stick celery
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 42 oz tinned plum tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon each chopped fresh thyme parsley and basil, or 1/2 teaspoon each dried
- 2 level teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To make the tomato sauce, peel and finely chop the onion and carrot. Trim and finely chop the celery and crush the garlic. Put the oil into a medium saucepan, add the chopped vegetables and garlic, and saute gently until soft.
- Add the remaining tomato sauce ingredients and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and leave to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the tomatoes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then pour into a liquidiser and puree, thinning the sauce by adding a little water if necessary. Put the tomato sauce to one side.
- Drain the crab, if using tinned. Place in a bowl and flake the flesh with a fork.
- Heat the spinach in a saucepan with a tablespoon of water, or as instructed on the packet, for about 4 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly and add to the crab. Mix the basil with the crab and spinach, and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the filling equally between the cannelloni tubes and spoon in. Pour half the tomato sauce into a large Ovenproof dish, and place the filled tubes on top, then pour the remaining sauce over them.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grate half the Parmesan cheese and slice the rest into shavings for garnish. Remove the cannelloni from the Oven and sprinkle the grated Parmesan over the baked sauce, then bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Garnish with sprigs of herbs and the Parmesan shavings, and serve immediately.
Oven: Preheat to 190° C (375°F, gas mark 5),
Calories: 405 kcal
Carbohydrates: 53 g
Protein: 30 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 41 mg
Sodium: 1293 mg
Potassium: 1022 mg
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 14 g
Vitamin A: 6787 IU
Vitamin C: 29 mg
Calcium: 344 mg
Iron: 5 mg