Courgette Soup #3
Courgettes are dwarf members of the squash family that includes marrows, cucumbers and melons, and although courgettes are always thought of as vegetables they are in fact fruits. Their delicate flavor makes a deliciously light soup that is heightened by the flavor of the fresh herbs, the nutmeg and the tangy cheese. The lemon juice is just enough to give the soup a refreshing twist without making it at all sour. You will need a liquidizer.
- 1 1/2 lb small courgettes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 pints unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 oz blue cheese or Parmesan, grated
- Juice of 1/2 small lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Wash and trim the courgettes. Grate the courgettes by hand, or if you have a food processor with a grating attachment you can use that.
- Roughly chop the onion and finely chop or crush the garlic. Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the onion and garlic, and cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the courgettes and continue cooking and stirring for another 3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the courgettes and stir it in thoroughly for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and gently bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool a little, then liquidise the soup and stir in all the grated cheese. Then add the lemon juice and stir in the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- If necessary, return the soup to the pan to reheat. Garnish with a swirl of yoghurt and the chopped parsley and chives. Serve immediately.
Calories: 213 kcal
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Protein: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 17 mg
Sodium: 1266 mg
Potassium: 587 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 1214 IU
Vitamin C: 37 mg
Calcium: 170 mg
Iron: 1 mg