Pasta with Courgette and Carrot Ribbons
Green and white tagliatelle - also known as Paglia e fieno - looks especially attractive mixed with carrot and courgette ribbons. The green pasta is made with spinach. You can substitute spaghetti if necessary. Choose firm courgettes with glossy, unblemished skins for this vegetarian main course or starter.
- 1 lb green and white tagliatelle
- 1 lb carrots
- 1 lb courgettes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 5 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the carrots and top and tail the carrots and courgettes. Using a vegetable peeler, shred them into ribbons. Cut wide ribbons into thinner strips with a knife. Finely chop the garlic and basil.
- Blanch the courgettes and carrot ribbons in boiling salted water for 1 minute. Drain, rinse under cold running water, and drain again.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, leaving the pasta cooked but slightly firm. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish. Add the courgette, carrot, pine nuts, garlic and basil, and toss over a moderate heat until the vegetables are heated through and coated in oil.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the saucepan or casserole. Toss well, season to taste and serve.
Fresh courgette and carrot strips add crunch to pasta.
Calories: 461 kcal
Carbohydrates: 64 g
Protein: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 64 mg
Sodium: 75 mg
Potassium: 650 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 7 g
Vitamin A: 12864 IU
Vitamin C: 18 mg
Calcium: 67 mg
Iron: 2 mg