Corned beef and vegetables
A hearty dish that's perfect for St. Patrick's Day.
- 1 corned beef brisket about 4 pounds
- 1 small bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 to 3 rutabagas cut in chunks
- 1 pound carrots or about 8 to 10, trimmed, scraped, and left whole
- 12 small whole onions peeled
- 6 medium potatoes peeled
- 1 medium head of cabbage cut in wedges
- Place meat in a deep stock pot or kettle; cover with water.
- Add bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Bring to a boil; skim off foam. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 3 hours.
- Add vegetables; simmer for about 45 minutes longer, or until vegetables and meat are tender.
- Serve corned beef surrounded with vegetables.
Calories: 499 kcal
Carbohydrates: 64 g
Protein: 25 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Cholesterol: 61 mg
Sodium: 1456 mg
Potassium: 1917 mg
Fiber: 13 g
Sugar: 19 g
Vitamin A: 9593 IU
Vitamin C: 143 mg
Calcium: 171 mg
Iron: 5 mg