Stir-Fried Beef with Transparent Noodles
This delicious recipe is a favorite dish from Northeastern China. The noodles are made from starch and water, and stir-fry in a wok with meat, vegetables, and other ingredients.
- 1 lb Fillet of beef cut with the grain into thin strips
- 3 Tbs Soy sauce
- 1 Tbs Rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 floz Peanut oil
- 2 Tbs Cornflour cornstarch
- 8 oz Transparent noodles
- piece Fresh root ginger peeled 1 1/2 inch and chopped
- 4 oz Chinese cabbage shredded
- 4 oz Bean sprouts
- 2 Spring onions scallions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 floz Beef stock
- Put the beef strips into a shallow bowl. Combine 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, the wine or sherry, 1 tablespoon of oil and the cornflour (cornstarch) until they are well blended. Pour the mixture over the beef strips and toss gently to coat them. Set aside to marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, turn the noodles into a bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover completely. Set aside to soak for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Heat the remaining oil in a very large frying-pan. Add the ginger and beef strips and stir-fry over high heat for 3 minutes. Push the strips to the side of the pan and add the noodles and remaining ingredients. Fry for 2 minutes, then stir the beef strips into the noodles. Add the remaining soy sauce and fry for a further 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer the mixture to a warmed serving dish and serve at once.
Calories: 765 kcal
Carbohydrates: 51 g
Protein: 31 g
Saturated Fat: 14 g
Cholesterol: 79 mg
Sodium: 1430 mg
Potassium: 614 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 140 IU
Vitamin C: 6 mg
Calcium: 41 mg
Iron: 4 mg