Chicken Liver Terrine
- 1 1/4 lbs chicken livers as fresh as possible
- 4 oz fatty bacon
- 2 onions
- Sprig fresh thyme
- Sprig fresh rosemary
- Bunch parsley
- 1 oz dried ceps or other mushroom
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp each dried thyme rosemary, ground cloves, cinnamon, mace and ginger powder
- 5 tbsp medium sherry
- 18 oz sausagemeat
- 7 oz soured cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 thin rashers streaky bacon
- Clean chicken livers of any bits of fat or skin, rinse quickly under cold water and pat dry.
- Remove fat from bacon and finely chop. Peel and chop onions. Rinse herbs in lukewarm water and dry, putting sprigs of thyme and rosemary to one side. Discard thick stalks of parsley and chop leaves. Cover herbs and put aside.
- Saute chopped bacon in pan, adding onions and frying in bacon fat until transparent. Then add chicken livers and saute for 3 minutes, turning frequently.
- Next add dried mushrooms, salt, dried herbs, spices and sherry; continue to saute for 1 minute longer, then cool.
- Preheat oven to 175°C (325°F/) Gas Mark 3.
- Put 2 litres (4 pt) water into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Coarsely chop liver, then combine with sausagemeat, soured cream and chopped parsley. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Spoon mixture into ovenproof terrine. Lay sprigs of thyme and rosemary on top with bay leaves, then cover with bacon rashers.
- Seal terrine well with double thickness of foil and place in large pan or roasting pan. Put onto bottom shelf of oven and pour enough boiling water into pan to come to within 3 cm (l 1/4 in) of top of terrine.
- Cook in oven for 45 minutes, making sure that temperature of water stays below 100°C (200°f) Check frequently with thermometer and adjust oven temperature accordingly.
- Allow terrine to cool in dish.
- To serve, either cut into slices or use a spoon to scoop out portions.
Calories: 601 kcal
Carbohydrates: 6 g
Protein: 34 g
Saturated Fat: 17 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 427 mg
Sodium: 1247 mg
Potassium: 620 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 10761 IU
Vitamin C: 21 mg
Calcium: 64 mg
Iron: 10 mg