When mincing meats or fish, put a piece of bread into the mincer at the end as it helps to push out the last of the ingredients and their juices. Serve as a starter spread on thin slices or hot toast or alternatively serve with crusty bread and a fresh green salad for a tasty supper.
- 9 oz chicken livers
- 9 oz boneless belly pork rind removed
- 1 small onion cut into chunks
- 9 oz minced beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic crushed (optional)
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz stuffed olives
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
- Wash and trim the livers, removing any discoloured parts with a sharp knife.
- Mince the livers, pork and onion finely in a mincer or chop finely in a food processor. Place in a large bowl and stir in the minced beef, tomato puree,
- oregano, garlic, if using, and wine. Mix thoroughly and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Reserve 3 of the olives for garnish, then halve the rest. Spoon half of the terrine mixture into a 700 ml (1 1/4 pint) deep rectangular dish or tin. Arrange the halved olives in the dish.
- Carefully spoon the remaining terrine mixture on top of the olives and arrange the bay leaves on top. Tap the base of dish a few times on a work surface so the mixture fills the gaps between the olives. Cover the dish loosely with foil.
- Put the dish into a roasting tin, pour in boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dish and cook in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours. To test for doneness, tilt the dish and if the juices run clear the terrine is cooked. Remove the dish from the roasting tin and cover the surface of the terrine with foil. Put heavy weights on top, leave to cool, then refrigerate overnight.
- To serve: turn the terrine out on to a platter. Slice the reserved olives and arrange them down the centre of the terrine. Sprinkle a row of chopped parsley either side.
Calories: 423 kcal
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Protein: 19 g
Saturated Fat: 13 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 208 mg
Sodium: 369 mg
Potassium: 355 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 4866 IU
Vitamin C: 10 mg
Calcium: 33 mg
Iron: 5 mg