Cheese and Chive Scones
Crumbly Lancashire cheese is ideal in cooking. Combined with the onion flavour of freshly snipped chives, these scones are deliciously savoury. To increase flavour try spreading them with Welsh butter, which has a distinctive flavour.
- 225 g 8 oz self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 oz butter diced
- 4 oz Lancashire cheese grated
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 1/4 pint fresh milk and extra for brushing
- Put the flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in 50 g (2 oz) of the cheese and the chives.
- Add the milk and mix to form a soft dough, then knead quickly until smooth.
- Roll out on a floured work surface until 1 cm (1/2 inch) thick. Cut into 10 rounds with a 5 cm
- (2 inch) plain cutter and brush the tops with milk. Transfer to baking sheets.
- Bake at 230°C (450°F) mark 8 for 7 - 10 minutes, until well risen and golden brown.
- Immediately put the remaining cheese on top of the scones and allow to melt before serving hot or cold.
Calories: 173 kcal
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Protein: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 25 mg
Sodium: 107 mg
Potassium: 53 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 200 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 91 mg
Iron: 1 mg