Braised Pigeons in Chocolate Sauce
- 72 oz pigeons weighing 18 oz each
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 pinches freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp plain flour All purpose
- 4 tbsp dry white wine
- 8 floz chicken stock
- 7 oz shallots
- 50 g plain/dark) chocolate
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Wash pigeons inside and out, then dry and rub with salt and pepper, inside and out.
- Heat oil in large, heavy bottomed pan and brown pigeons all over before removing from pan.
- Fry garlic in remaining oil. Stir flour into oil, fry briefly, then add wine and chicken stock. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Put pigeons into sauce, cover and cook for 50 minutes on a low heat.
- Peel shallots, chop finely and add to pigeons after 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 120°c (225°f) gas mark 1/4
- Arrange cooked pigeons on a serving dish and keep hot in oven. Skim fat off sauce.
- Grate chocolate and add to sauce, stirring continuously over a low heat until melted. Do not let the sauce boil again.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and serve with pigeons.
Calories: 748 kcal
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Protein: 34 g
Saturated Fat: 18 g
Cholesterol: 157 mg
Sodium: 764 mg
Potassium: 615 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 11 g
Vitamin A: 404 IU
Vitamin C: 13 mg
Calcium: 50 mg
Iron: 7 mg