Courgette (Zucchini) and Aubergine (Eggplant) Lasagne
- 2 lb aubergines eggplant
- 4 tbsp salt
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 1 oz garlic and herb butter or margarine
- 1 lb courgettes zucchini, sliced
- 8 oz grated Mozzarella
- 1 pint passata sieved tomatoes
- 6 sheets pre-cooked green lasagne
- 1 pint Bechamel Sauce see below
- 2 oz Parmesan grated
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- black pepper
- 1/2 pint milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- 1 small onion
- 2 oz butter plus extra for greasing
- 1 1/2 oz flour
- 1/2 pint single light cream
- large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Thinly slice the aubergines (eggplant). Layer the slices in a bowl, sprinkling with the salt as you go. Set aside for 30 minutes. Rinse well in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan (skillet) until very hot and gently fry half the aubergine (eggplant) slices for 6-7 minutes until lightly golden all over. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining aubergine slices and oil.
- Melt the garlic and herb butter or margarine in the frying pan (skillet) and fry the courgettes (zucchini) for 5-6 minutes until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Place half the aubergine (eggplant) and courgette (zucchini) slices in a large ovenproof dish. Season with pepper and sprinkle over half the Mozzarella. Spoon over half the passata and top with three sheets of lasagne.
- Arrange the remaining aubergine (eggplant) and courgette (zucchini) slices on top. Season with pepper and top
- with the remaining Mozzarella and passata and another layer of lasagne.
- Spoon over the bechamel sauce and top with Parmesan and oregano. Put on a baking sheet (cookie sheet) and bake in a preheated oven, 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7, for 30-35 minutes until golden.
- Pour the milk into a small pan and add the bay leaves. Press the cloves into the onion, add to the pan and bring the milk to the boil. Remove from the heat and set it aside to cool.
- Strain the milk into a jug and rinse the pan. Melt the butter in the pan and stir in the flour. Stir for 1 minute, then gradually pour on the milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook the sauce for 3 minutes, then pour on the cream and bring it to the boil Remove from the heat and season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Calories: 775 kcal
Carbohydrates: 51 g
Protein: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 25 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 114 mg
Sodium: 5205 mg
Potassium: 1124 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 15 g
Vitamin A: 1743 IU
Vitamin C: 27 mg
Calcium: 438 mg
Iron: 3 mg