Apricot and Walnut Loaf
- 1 cup each brown and white strong plain flours
- 1 tsp white cooking fat
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1/4 pint water
- 5/8 cup dried apricots chopped
- 50 g broken walnuts
- 2 tbsp caster sugar superfine granulated
- Dissolve sugar in a cupful of hand hot water (from the amount above) then sprinkle dried yeast on top. Leave until frothy, about 10 minutes.
- Add, with rest of liquid, to flours, salt, apricots, walnuts and sugar. Mix to a soft scone-like dough.
- Knead the dough thoroughly on a lightly floured surface.
- Shape the loaf in order to half-fill a well greased loaf tin or flower pot.
- Mix with one hand until the mixture is no longer streaky.
- Two-thirds fill the prepared tin (bottom-lined and greased) and cover with cling film until dough rises to within 1cm of the top of the tins. One hour in a warm place, longer in a cool one.
- Bake at 200°C, gas mark 6 for 40-45 minutes.
Calories: 1165 kcal
Carbohydrates: 186 g
Protein: 28 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g
Cholesterol: 3 mg
Sodium: 2350 mg
Potassium: 1417 mg
Fiber: 16 g
Sugar: 73 g
Vitamin A: 2939 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 121 mg
Iron: 10 mg