Apricot and Walnut Teabread
- 6 oz polyunsaturated margarine
- 4 oz unrefined soft brown sugar or molasses
- 3 eggs beaten
- 8 oz wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 tbsps skimmed milk
- 4 oz dried apricots chopped
- 2 oz shelled walnuts chopped
- 2 tsps clear honey warmed
- Few extra chopped dried apricots to decorate
- Lightly grease a l kg (2 1b) loaf tin and line the base with a piece of greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the margarine and sugar, until light and fluffy
- Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, adding a teaspoonful of flour with each addition of egg, if the mixture shows signs of curdling.
- Fold in the flour carefully and, finally, stir in the milk, apricots and nuts.
- Put the mixture into the prepared loaf tin, smoothing the top level,
- Bake in a preheated oven, 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3, for 1 1/2 hours, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- As soon as the loaf comes out of the oven, brush the top with the warmed honey and sprinkle with the extra chopped apricots. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes, before turning out and leaving to cool completely
Calories: 3365 kcal
Carbohydrates: 379 g
Protein: 55 g
Saturated Fat: 36 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 492 mg
Sodium: 1853 mg
Potassium: 2269 mg
Fiber: 18 g
Sugar: 186 g
Vitamin A: 10957 IU
Vitamin C: 2 mg
Calcium: 408 mg
Iron: 18 mg