Almond Filled Coffee Bread
- 1/2 quantity basic brown bread dough
- 6 oz almond paste
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 oz flaked almonds
- 4 oz icing sugar sifted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Basic Brown Bread
- 1 oz fresh yeast or 1 tbsp dried
- 18 floz tepid water
- 1.3 lb brown wheatmeal bread flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 oz lard
- 1 egg
- barley kernels to finish
- Grease a baking sheet. Knead the dough again and roll out to a 30 cm (12 inch) square. Cut into nine equal-sized squares.
- Roll the almond paste into nine balls, flatten slightly and place one in the centre of each dough square.
- Fold the corners of each square of dough over the almond paste and press down well to secure.
- Place close together in three rows on the baking sheet. Cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place to double in size.
- Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with almonds and bake at 230°C (450°F) mark 8 for 15-20 minutes. Slide on to a wire rack and cool a little.
- Mix the icing sugar in a bowl with the lemon juice and sufficient water to give a pouring consistency. Drizzle over the still warm bread. Eat while warm.
Basic Brown Bread
- Makes three 450 g (1 lb) loaves or one 900 g (2 lb) loaf and one 450 g (1 lb) loaf
- Crumble the fresh yeast into a bowl and cream with a little of the water until smooth. (If using dried yeast, reconstitute according to packet directions.) Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl and rub in the lard. Stir in the yeast liquid and remaining water to give a manageable but not sticky dough.
- Knead well on a floured board until smooth and elastic–ťat least 10 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a large, oiled bowl. Stretch oiled cling film over the top of the bowl. Leave in a warm place for the dough to double in size, about 40 minutes.
- Grease three 850 ml (1 1/2 pint) loaf tins. Knead the dough again for 3 - 4 minutes. Make into three loaf shapes and place each, seam-side down, in a prepared loaf tin. Cover with oiled cling film and leave to rise until double in size.
- Beat the egg with a pinch of salt and lightly glaze the loaves. Sprinkle with barley kernels and bake at 230°C (450°F) mark 8 about 20 minutes until well browned. Lower the heat to 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for further 10 minutes, or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from the tins and cool.
Calories: 4303 kcal
Carbohydrates: 755 g
Protein: 120 g
Saturated Fat: 10 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 327 mg
Sodium: 5904 mg
Potassium: 1710 mg
Fiber: 34 g
Sugar: 189 g
Vitamin A: 1912 IU
Vitamin C: 22 mg
Calcium: 598 mg
Iron: 12 mg