Flaky, buttery recipe that is perfect for breakfast or dessert.
- 1/3 cup butter or block margarine
- 5 1/2 oz self raising self rising flour
- 4 Tbls caster sugar superfine granulated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp liquid coffee essence
- fat for greasing
for the filling
- coffee butter icing see below
- icing sugar confectioners sugar for dusting (optional)
for the coffee butter icing
- 1 1/2 cups + 3 tbls icing sugar confectioners sugar
- 8 Tbsp butter softened
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tbsp hot water
- Heat the oven to fairly hot, 190°C, gas mark 5.
- Rub the fat into the flour, then stir in the sugar.
- Mix the egg yolk with the coffee essence and use to bind the dry ingredients together to a stiff paste.
- Roll the mixture into balls about the size of a walnut and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- When cooked, leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Use the coffee butter icing (see below) to sandwich the biscuits together in pairs.
- If liked, dust with icing sugar.
- to make coffee butter icing
- Dissolve the cocoa in 1 tbsp hot water. Cool.
- Sift the icing sugar and add gradually to the butter with the cocoa and water, beating until the icing is smooth and of a soft spreading consistency.
Calories: 239 kcal
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Protein: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 50 mg
Sodium: 113 mg
Potassium: 25 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 19 g
Vitamin A: 413 IU
Calcium: 8 mg
Iron: 1 mg