- 8 oz vermicelli or spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 oz butter plus extra for greasing
- tomato and basil salad to serve
- 2 oz butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 oz button mushrooms trimmed
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, deseeded and
- sliced into thin rings
- 1/4 pint milk
- 3 eggs beaten lightly
- 2 tbsp double heavy cream
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of finely grated nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of salted boiling water, adding the olive oil. When almost tender, drain in a colander. Return the pasta to the pan, add the butter and shake the pan well.
- Grease a 20 cm/8 inch loose-bottomed flan tin (pan). Press the pasta on to the base and round the sides to form a case.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan (skillet) over a medium heat and fry the onion until it is translucent. Remove with a slotted spoon and spread in the flan base.
- Add the mushrooms and (bell) pepper rings to the pan and turn them in the fat until glazed. Fry for two minutes on each side, then arrange in the flan base.
- Beat together the milk, eggs and cream, stir in the oregano, and season with nutmeg and pepper. Pour the mixture carefully over the vegetables and sprinkle on the cheese.
- Bake the flan in the preheated oven, 180°C/ 350°F/Gas Mark 4, for 40 - 45 minutes, until filling is set. Slide on to a serving plate and serve warm.
Calories: 511 kcal
Carbohydrates: 48 g
Protein: 15 g
Saturated Fat: 15 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 183 mg
Sodium: 241 mg
Potassium: 383 mg
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 890 IU
Vitamin C: 3 mg
Calcium: 104 mg
Iron: 2 mg