Vegetable Pasta Stir-Fry
Prepare all the vegetables and cook the pasta in advance, then the dish can be cooked in a few minutes.
- 14 oz wholewheat pasta shells or other short pasta shapes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots sliced thinly
- 4 oz baby sweetcorn
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 2.5 cm 1 inch ginger root, sliced thinly
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove sliced thinly
- 3 celery stalks sliced thinly
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored, deseeded and
- sliced into matchstick strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored, deseeded
- and sliced into matchstick strips
- steamed mangetout snow peas, to serve
- 1 tsp cornflour cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp dry sherry
- 1 tsp clear honey
- few drops of hot pepper sauce optional
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water, adding the tablespoon of olive oil. When almost tender, drain the pasta in a colander, return to the pan, cover and keep warm.
- Cook the carrots and sweetcorn in boiling, salted water for 2 minutes. Drain in a colander, plunge into cold water to prevent further cooking and drain again.
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok or large frying pan (skillet) over medium heat and fry the ginger for 1 minute, to flavour the oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery and (bell) peppers to the oil and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and sweetcorn, and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes, then stir in the reserved pasta.
- Put the cornflour (cornstarch) in a small bowl and mix to a smooth paste with the water. Stir in the soy sauce, sherry and honey.
- Pour the sauce into the pan, stir well and cook for 2 minutes, stirring once or twice. Taste the sauce and season with hot pepper sauce if liked. Serve with a steamed green vegetable such as mangetout (snow peas).
Calories: 339 kcal
Carbohydrates: 44 g
Protein: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 785 mg
Potassium: 406 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 8 g
Vitamin A: 6229 IU
Vitamin C: 68 mg
Calcium: 44 mg
Iron: 2 mg