Veal Stuffed with Meat (Noce Di Vitello Farcito)
- 2 lb Large veal escalopes
- 1 Tbs Lemon juice
- 4 floz) Olive oil
for the stuffing
- 8 oz Chicken meat cut into strips
- 2 oz Calf's liver cut into strips
- 3 oz Cooked ham cut into strips
- 1 Medium cooking apple peeled, cored and grated
- 4 floz Marsala
- 2 Egg yolks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz French beans trimmed, blanched and drained
- First make the stuffing. Combine the meats and apple together. Pour over the Marsala and set aside to soak for 15 minutes.
- Drain the meats and apple and return them to the bowl. Add the egg yolks and seasoning, and beat well.
- Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 3500F).
- Lay the escalopes out on a board, overlapping the edges slightly to make a 30 cm (12 in) square. Using a meat mallet or your clenched fist, beat the edges together to form a slight seal. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and lemon juice.
- Arrange one-third of the stuffing in the middle of the meat. Cover with half the French beans and cover these with another one-third of the stuffing. Repeat the layers to use up the remaining ingredients. Fold the top and bottom sides of the escalope square over the stuffing so that they just meet. Turn in the sides to make a neat parcel. Tie the meat with string in four or five places along its length and twice around its width.
- Put the meat in a roasting pan. Pour over the oil and place the pan in the oven. Roast the meat for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre passes easily through the stuffing.
- Remove from the oven, remove the meat from the pan and transfer to a warmed serving platter. Remove and discard the string and serve at once.
Calories: 580 kcal
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Protein: 42 g
Saturated Fat: 10 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 254 mg
Sodium: 327 mg
Potassium: 717 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 5 g
Vitamin A: 1883 IU
Vitamin C: 9 mg
Calcium: 47 mg
Iron: 3 mg