- 2 oz butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb potatoes cubed
- 4 veal escalopes weighing 6 oz each
- 1 onion cut into 8 wedges
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tbsp plain all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp tomato puree paste
- 1/4 pint red wine
- 1/2 pint chicken stock
- 8 ripe tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 oz stoned pitted black olives, halved
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaves to garnish
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan (skillet). Add the potato cubes and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown.
- Remove the potatoes from the pan (skillet) with a perforated spoon and set aside.
- Place the veal in the frying pan (skillet) and cook for 2 - 3 minutes on each side until sealed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Stir the onion and garlic into the pan (skillet) and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and tomato puree (paste) and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Gradually blend in the red wine and chicken stock, stirring to make a smooth sauce.
- Return the potatoes and veal to the pan (skillet). Stir in the tomatoes, olives and chopped basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and cook in a preheated oven, 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, for 1 hour or until the potatoes and veal are cooked through. Garnish with basil leaves and serve.
Calories: 403 kcal
Carbohydrates: 53 g
Protein: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Trans Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 33 mg
Sodium: 214 mg
Potassium: 1546 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 13 g
Vitamin A: 2559 IU
Vitamin C: 71 mg
Calcium: 69 mg
Iron: 3 mg