Tartare Sauce #2
This Tartare Sauce is perfect for serving with raw or seared tuna, shrimp, or other seafood.
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tsp French mustard
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 pint vegetable or olive oil
- 4 - 6 gherkins
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried chervil or equivalent fresh if available
- Sieve the yolks of the hard-boiled eggs into a bowl and add mustard, salt and pepper.
- Mix the raw egg yolks into the bowl and cream until the mixture is a smooth paste.
- Add the oil a few drops at a time until the sauce is thick. If it seems too thick, add a few drops of lemon juice.
- Drain and rinse the gherkins and capers in a sieve with cold water as they are usually packed in vinegar or brine, which can overpower the flavour of the sauce.
- Pat dry with kitchen towels and chop finely.
- Add to the sauce with the herbs (herbs, gherkins and capers can be chopped in the blender or food processor).
- Mix well and taste for seasoning. Serve with all types of fried or grilled fish.
- For a Quick Tartare Sauce Add the gherkins, capers, parsley and herbs to 150 ml (1/4 pt) mayonnaise.
Calories: 1267 kcal
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Protein: 16 g
Saturated Fat: 21 g
Cholesterol: 568 mg
Sodium: 703 mg
Potassium: 205 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Vitamin A: 1501 IU
Vitamin C: 11 mg
Calcium: 93 mg
Iron: 3 mg