Sweet Pumpkin (Calabaza Enmielada)
This is one of the favourite desserts of Mexico. Marrow can be substituted for the pumpkin, if you prefer.
- 2 floz Water
- 2 lb Fresh pumpkin peeled, and with fibre and seeds removed
- 10 oz Dark brown sugar
- 8 floz Double heavy cream, stiffly beaten
- Pour the water into a shallow flameproof casserole, or deep frying-pan. Cut the pumpkin into eight equal pieces and arrange it, in one layer, in the casserole or pan.
- Sprinkle thickly with the sugar and set the casserole or pan over moderate heat. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, basting occasionally or until the pumpkin is tender but still retains its shape.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pumpkin pieces to a serving dish and spoon over the cooking liquid. Serve at once, garnished with cream.
Calories: 532 kcal
Carbohydrates: 86 g
Protein: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 14 g
Cholesterol: 81 mg
Sodium: 45 mg
Potassium: 910 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 75 g
Vitamin A: 20177 IU
Vitamin C: 21 mg
Calcium: 145 mg
Iron: 2 mg